Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Windows 10 Review

Photo by: blogs.windows.com
Windows 10 is a new operating system by Microsoft and it launched on July 29, 2015. I have downloaded and installed it on two laptops to get a sense of how it performs on different machines. First, I will explain how Windows 10 Pro operates on a high end laptop then I will compare it to my lower end laptop and finally end with my overall impressions of the OS.

Asus G75VW-BBK5 Testing:

The last few weeks of using Windows 10 have been nothing short of amazing. The operating system flies through daily tasks and is overall faster than Windows 8.1 Pro. I recently upgraded this gaming laptop with a solid state drive, SSD. The performance increases were immediately noticeable but with Windows 10 installed, I am thoroughly impressed. This Asus laptop boots in less than ten seconds and shuts down in the same amount of time. The installation process took only five minutes to complete and was almost instantly ready for me to use. The speed is very quick but with every software iteration there are bugs that need to be addressed, and sadly Windows 10 is not void of bugs.

The bugs I am referring to are not major in any sense. There are various annoyances I have come across while running my favorite programs. After upgrading to this OS, I noticed that Steam, a video game distribution store, and EA's Origin, another online store for PC games, had issues. Steam works as it should but the resolution is not matching my monitor anymore. Origin has a system error report stating that it "can't start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer." Another bug that I have run into involved my touchpad. Asus does not have an updated version of the driver I used for my touchpad, so when I updated my OS my touchpad gestures stopped working. I was able to manually fix these issues by updating the driver.

My normal usage of this laptop has improved thanks to the speed improvements apparent with this new upgrade. Programs and applications launch faster, close faster, and act more stable. The inclusion of Cortana into Windows 10 helps bring computing on PCs as easy as it is on smartphones. I can say "Hey Cortana" and she will await my command. She is Microsoft's answer to the personal assistants that have become the norm on smartphones. Cortana will also do what Google Now has done well for years. It will aggregate news, weather, and information for you while also trying to assist you before you ask. The upgrade to Windows 10 was well worth the wait because it blends all the greatness of Windows 7 with the speed of Windows 8.

Asus Q200E Testing:

My thoughts about Windows 10 on my portable laptop differ only slightly than my views from my gaming laptop. On this laptop, Windows 10 makes it boot up a little slower than it did on Windows 8.1 Pro. Speed and responsiveness become a factor when comparing two laptops with two different storage configurations. This laptop contains a 500 GB 5400 RPM hard drive inside, where as, my G75 laptop has a 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD inside. The internal components inside the Q200E are a few steps below the G75 but the only main difference I have observed is a slower boot up time.

Conclusion:

Windows 10 Pro is a fantastic improvement and a major step in the right direction for Microsoft. They decided to make the upgrade free for one year for customers who had Windows 7 and 8.1 previously. I recommend downloading the upgrade and trying it out. New features: Cortana, multitasking improvements, multi-desktop support, and a notification center all bring Windows up to speed and make it feel like a modern day experience. People have grown accustomed to these features on other platforms, and it is a nice addition to enjoy on these additions on Windows.

Score:

9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment