Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Google Photos Review

Google is on the leading edge of providing its customers with services people utilize on a daily basis. For me, Google's application called Google Photos is no exception. When the app launched on May 28, 2015 I was skeptical and did not immediately switch my photo gallery to it. It initially sounded too good to be true. Google promised customers that this application will allow users to upload an unlimited amount of pictures and videos, to Google servers for backup, for free. As long as the images were limited to 16MP and to 1080p video, it was not counted against the 15GBs Google allots users for free from the start. My skepticism was unnecessary.

Photo by: play.google.com

Features:

I decided to give it a try a few weeks after its launch. The interface is very simple and easy to use. It groups photos by date and if you sync your photos to Google's cloud, their servers intelligently group photos of similar faces and can instantly create animated GIFs. At first I did not sync my photos to the backup servers because I didn't think I would need to. The phone I tested Google Photos on was the Google Nexus 5. The phone contains only 16GB of internal storage with no SD card slot for expansion. The backup server allows for high quality uploads for free. This was an opportunity to free up precious storage on my phone. You can delete the phone's copy of the image but still see it in your gallery, and you can also view the photos on a computer. A recent update to the application, allows users to delete all photos on their phone with a single tap of "free up space." This feature will only delete photos that have been backed up already. The application will also work with the Google Chromecast so users can cast pictures from a cell phone to the television without using a wired connection.


Conclusion:

My experience with Google Photos was smooth and pain free. I connected to my WiFi and Google handled the rest. Once the application notified me that the backup was complete, I began deleting all of my videos. Google Photos is a great way to free up space on your cell phone, especially if the phone you use does not have an SD card slot or has limited storage out of the box.


Score:

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment