Tuesday, May 6, 2014

PC vs. Mac

By: Nathan Johnson

     One of the most talked about, and most argued topic in technology is are you a PC or a Mac user. The topic of which operating system people use is one that is tied into one of our human responses. Whichever brand you choose to use is up to you, but for the operating system that is picked, a bond starts to develop. You get familiar with its ins and outs, and you know how to work the software to finish your present task. Once we start to use technology and figure out how it works, we become more attached to that hardware, software, and operating system.
     As a PC user since I was in middle school, I am very familiar with Windows software and how to move around the operating system. I can get my work done with little to no effort because I have used Windows for years. Whenever I sit down at a Mac and look at the OS X, I get lost. In most cases, the Mac task bar is on the bottom, as is the Windows task bar. The one difference that trips me up every time is the placement of the minimize, re-size, and close buttons. On Macs, they are on the top left corner, but on Windows machines they are located at the upper right corner.
     Another major difference for me, being a power user and an optimizer, is I cannot find the settings or system tools I need. On Windows I know how to get to all the system settings, such as Disk Defragment, Disk Cleanup, Program Uninstallers, etc. On Macs, I either cannot find them, or they just do not exist. I have helped dozens of my family members and close friends repair their Windows machines that had become slow and bogged down, but I can only do so much for my fellow Mac users.
     The advantages one operating system has for one person, are the weaknesses for the other. It is not that I dislike OS X, I just do not know how to work alongside of it.

Photo by: moguul

No comments:

Post a Comment